Several gymnosperms are grown as ornamental plants .some of these are cycas, araucaria, thuja, etc. cycas and ginkgo are grown in temples in china and japan. These are worshipped there.
Gymnosperms are a source of different kinds of food products.
- Sago starch is obtained from the pith and cortex of the stem of C . revolute, C rumphi, etc., it is used as food.
- Seed starch is obtained from seeds of Cycas rumphii, Dioon edule, etc. it is prepared in flour and cooked.
- Seeds of pinups gerardiana chilgoza are edible. These are used as a dry fruit. They have excellent market value throughout the world.
- Kaffir bread prepared from the stem pith of encephalitis.
- Young leaves of cycas cooked as vegetables.
- Many members of gymnosperms have great medicinal values. some of these are
- Ephedrine alkaloid extracted from ephedra. It is used in treating asthma .cough, cold, Bronchitis etc.
- Tincture of ephedra is a cardiac stimulant.
- The juice extracted from young leaves if cycas revolute. It is used for curing blood vomiting and flatulence.
- Gum. Cycas gum used as an adhesive, antidote for snake bites. It is also used against malignant ulcers.
- Tannins. Tannins extracted from the bark of araucaria, pinups, sequoia, etc. it is also used in the leather industry.
- Canada balsam. It is turpentine obtained from abies balsamea. It is used as a mounting medium in biological preparations.
- Amber. It is turpentine obtained from abies balsamea. It is used as a mounting medium in biological preparations.
- Plywood is prepared from podocarpus.
- Papers like newsprints, writing, and printing papers are prepared from the wood pulp of pinups, Picea, abies, gnetum, etc.
- The leaves of cycas are used for preparing baskets. mats ,hats ,brooms etc .
- Fibres are obtained from the leaves of cycas and macrizamia. these are used for stuffing pillows and making mattresse
Source of oils
Different oils are obtained from various members of gymnosperms. These oils are used an other purpose.
Oils are extracted from seeds ofc, revolute, macrozamia ridley, pinups cembra, and Cephalotaxus drupaceous. These are used as edible oils.
Red cedarwood oil is extracted from the heartwood of Juniperus virginiana .it is used for cleaning microscopic preparation and for oil Immersion lenses.
Oils are obtained from Cedrus deodara, cryptomeria japonica, and Cupressus serm _erocorems .these oils are used in preparations of perfumes.
Source of timber
Perhaps this is the most important economic and commercial aspect of the gymnosperms.
Gymnosperms constitute a significant part of the temperate forests of the world. The wild of conifers is highly valuable in the market. It is used in furniture and construction work.